Saturday, February 28, 2009

Giant gaping hole: Major road malfunctions of Austin

If I had to quantify it (I don't but lets say I did) I'd say that the streets in Austin are a good 45% less smooth than the streets in Portland.

Take for example Speedway, a street named for horse racing that runs through the center of UT, which has been undergoing construction projects since I got here. Speedway is a major bike route for me. I take it to school, to work, and to most places south of me. I do this because it has a bike lane and there are no arterial crossing aids on any of the smoother, lower-traffic streets that parallel it.

Internet sleuthery got me nowhere in finding out what they are doing on Speedway (I sadly admit this and am glad I haven't had library patrons inquiring). "Private construction" has been suggested to me by some Austin natives. As they don't do private construction on public streets in Oregon, I'm going to have to assume some evil private concern is tearing up the street for the sheer joy of it, leaving the bike lane, bumpy, cracked, and full of debri.

The road has gotten so bad that I've taken to riding a lot of speedway well in the middle of the lane. I don't think a lot of cars behind me understand what I'm doing and I've been overtaken and cut off by a number of buses pulling over and cars turning right. I have small tires that don't take well to bumps and gravel. One time I almost beaned a catholic school kid in the head with a rock when it shot out sideways from underneath them. I'm just trying to keep everyone safe.

A friend of mine declared that she'd like to see the mayor try and ride a bike along the stretch from 35th to 45th. If he did he might fall into a giant gaping hole just like Spike did the other night.

As we were biking home from the grocery store after dark Spike, riding ahead of me, suddenly crashed into a sink hole that had opened up where road crews had drilled and filled a day or so prior. Luckily Spike managed to clip out of his pedals and start running, and I to dodge (not so lucky my friend Adam behind me who dog piled into the hole with Spike). Given that Austin has a serious lack of streetlights the hole was virtually invisible until you were almost in it. So Spike called Austin's non emergency line and we stood blocking the hole for a while, angry cars swerving around us not knowing we were keeping them from damage. A woman on a motorcycle cruised by on 43rd and I told Spike, who seemed to be getting a less than worried response from the person on the 311 line, to inform them that the hole was surely big enough to send a motorcyclest flying. By morning the hole had been re-filled and made a spongy black mound, treacherous but no longer a death trap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We are having a bicycle scavenger hunt on Sunday March 15th, 4pm-8pm. Teams are meeting at the State Capital at 4, starting the hunt at 4:30, and ending at the Chris Riley campaign head quarters by 7pm for music spun by Sweet DJ D, food, and winner announcements. Teams made up of 3-5 people will follow clues to 10 different locations around town.

I am a supporter of the Chris Riley Campaign for Austin City Council Place 1. Chris Riley is a native Austinite who has worked and served our city for over a decade. Chris will take action to create green jobs, protect our local businesses, improve public transportation, and preserve our city's character. He is a former chair of the Planning Commission and Downtown Commission, founded Austin CarShare and the Alliance for Public Transportation, started a neighborhood association, and served on the boards of the Austin History Center and the Austin Parks Foundation. Chris is a transportation cyclist. And he has the support of over 700 prominent Austinites. You can learn more about him on his website: www.chrisforaustin.com

Chris' campaign is working with many people who love our town on some free community events. The purpose of these events is to bring together people who make up vital parts of Austin's character and show that the cultivation of our music & arts, cycling, and sustainable foods scenes need to be a priorities for our City, as they will be if Chris gets elected.

People can fill out this form to participate for free! http://easyurl.net/CycleHuntATX. It'd be awesome if you could participate. Can you also help spread the word on our hunt by posting this on your site? Thank you!

Best,

Spencer

Unknown said...

I am happy to see that 311 responded to quickly. Speedway is really bad heading north past 40th or so. Sometimes I take it anyway and I end up getting annoyed.

Pete said...

Please, Laura, be very careful.

I am curious if anyone has insights into putting a rack onto a bike with disc brakes. I eschew brakes, myself, but my wife has a bike with discs on it; I bought her a Blackburn EX1 rack, for baby seat reasons, but now I fear I can't attach it once it arrives.