Saturday, January 31, 2009

New Directions.

We are reshaping this blog but not giving up on our project. As I've mentioned before Austin's bike culture reminds me of Portland's bike culture 6 years ago. This, and the notable increase in bike traffic I observed this past trip to NYC, got me wondering. Is Austin really so weird? It is certainly more bike friendly than say a place like Vegas. But the older lady riding across Manhattan in heels and fur, my parents riding bikes to the pub in White Salmon, and Obama's promise to increase funding for bike and pedestrian projects make me pause. So I want to ask, what is it like where you are?

We'd like to gather a cast of writers (regulars and occasionals) to share stories and news from various cities and towns around the world. Want to write for us?

2 comments:

Liebo said...

Hey there, last year I lived in this little Italian city where the bikes definitely outnumbered cars. I've been meaning to sit down and write something about the whole bike experience there as well as sort through my photos to find the good bike related ones so let me know about the project you're starting. I also have a website (www.thyneighborsbike.com) and although I haven't written anything about Italy yet I might get to it in the next few days so keep an eye out.
Also I'm too inept to do it myself but once my friend gets a chance I'll have him link your site on mine.

Michaela Kuenster said...

Hi there,

I'm part owner of a teeny-tiny independent bike shop in Dallas Texas, where we and a handful of other hopeful cyclists strive to make Dallas more bike-y. Coincidentally, we call ourselves "Bicycle Farm." So I'd be interested in writing for you, as part of our ongoing plight.

Here's the link to our website, which isn't that great yet, but you can get an idea... Look at it in Firefox, if possible, since I haven't fixed it in Explorer yet... Sorry to be a hassle, but we're just really busy!:

http://www.bicyclefarm.com

You can also email me at michaelakuenster at gmail dot com

~Michaela